Breaking into reality

Ok, Spoilers: this is a hoax. But goddamn i saw “fake bioengineered pets as toys” and what other community has explored that concept to the extent we have?

http://www.genpets.com/index.php

14 Likes

Could easily see flash frozen fluffies sold in similar packaging.

5 Likes

my biggest issue in this Genpet :tm: is how unnapealing it looks, like, if a kid went to a store buy a biotoy would they pick
a. image
or
b. image

6 Likes

and b is the only option

2 Likes

Remember back in the late 2000s and early 2010s when “gross” stuff was all the rage. So there’s a market for that kind of stuff

Moral of the story: I'll pick option C, please

3 Likes

Boglins sold well alongside My Little Pony and Trolls.

1 Like

huh, never seen that one o.o interesting paralel lol

There has to be a name for the huge explosion in ugly toys from the mid 80’s to like 2010. Not sure what though.

My Pet Monster had only one gimmick, being ugly. It had a movie, cartoon, and very popular toyline.

Ant Man even made a joke about it, with Scott Lang knowing his daughter well enough to get her an ugly rabbit doll and show up the stepdad.

1 Like

And I had just gotten over the fact that a YouTube family channel had begun selling their newborn son as a Reborn Baby Doll

I would kill both of those hideous abominations.

That thing should be put under a hydraulic press.

This has to be a joke right?

In all reality, it looks like this community has just predicted the future. lmao.

I looked it up and it’s an art project. It actually predates fluffies by a longshot, though; the site was created in 2004.

1 Like

Yeesh! I knew someone was playing around with genetics when it was in the lime light back in the day, but I didn’t expect anything other than glowing mammals, or growing amputated limbs to come of it. That’s a bit concerning, not going to lie.

Oh no, they’re not real! They’re just sculptures.

1 Like

Ah! I am less concerned now. Thank you.

1 Like

Seems a waste of $50.

Anyone who would pay that much for that ugly thing already wasted their money.

Sometimes ugly is better.

Summary

Though jokes aside its almost entirely nostalgia-driven, plus morbid interest.

1 Like

I’ve always thought Vulpix was way cuter than Zorua. Zorua’s nose is just so…needlessly pointy.

Also I adore that “old”-style Zorua. It reminds me of some of the pets on the Virtual Pet sites I play.